Monday, December 14, 2009

Day 1 of Ironman 2010 Training!


This day has been a much anticipated day for me. My whole life I have been an athlete. Little League, Cheerleading, Track & Field, Sprint Triathlons, Cycling and then running. Through all of those sports I can't honestly say I looked forward to the training. I was always the type of Athlete that just loved the competing element of the sport.

As you get older your perspectives change and for me, for this part of my life and the caliber of event I am setting out to achieve, the training is half, if not more of the whole Ironman Experience. If I am not excited about the training and looking forward to 6 days a week for the next 37 weeks of my life being consumed by working out, then mentally it will be a tough road...for everyone!!

For those readers who are new to ME, there is something very special about being an ESMONDE! We were born with this special gift of being planners, organizers, packers, anticipators and competitors. With that it explains much of who I am and my approach to my training. After much research I bought a training plan online and then finessed it to my likings. I.E I turned it into a 150+ Training Bible that is Spiral-Bound, color coordinated, with a training log behind each weeks workout. Some might say I'm a little neurotic, but I like to look at it like being prepared!

For the past few months I have been reviewing what the next 37 weeks will be like. Mentally preparing myself. Last night I felt like I was putting in the final review before a test, reading over and over about my nutrition plan and the first week of Training. The nice thing about my program is that it's broken down into three levels of athletes. Age group, Elite and Pro. For Swimming I classify myself as Age Group, Running Elite and Cycling Pro. I can adjust as I go along depending on how my body is feeling.

Day One: 45 minute run. Easy enough. I was up at 6am this morning. I bundled up to embrace the 35degree morning. I wore my reflective jacket so cars don't hit me and ankle reflective straps. The sun was up 30 minutes into my run. Body felt good, but lungs were still really tight from the cold. I am feeling much better and back to myself, cold is gone, but have a small cough. I should be 100% by this weekend.

The rest of week one includes
Mon-Run
Tue-Upper Body and Core weights
Wed-Swim
Thur-Bike
Fri-Rest Day
Sat-Swim
Sun-Run

37 weeks to go!!! Can't Wait!

1 comment:

  1. Love the training bible... would not expect anything less from you. Go Get Them!

    xo~Kel.

    ReplyDelete