Friday, August 27, 2010

Journey to today

The journey to Louisville really started 5 years ago.  I made a
personal promise to myself that I would compete and complete an
Ironman within the next 5 years. I knew then I would be able to finish
the bike with no problems, it was the run and swim that I would have
to conquer. Having only done 3 sprint triathlons (in 2001) prior to my
set goal, I had a long road ahead of me.

Soon after I told myself I would do an Ironman in 5 years, I went back
to school full time, moved to Philadelphia and entered a whole new
battle field, the COLD. Living as an athlete in Florida you are
spoiled by year round training. There were only a handful of times it
was to cold to train, moving North, I would soon experience that I
would have to find a new sport for the winter.

My body, more specifically my hands and feet get cold, fast. After
many different warm gloves, creams, and several doctor vists, I was
told I have Renards syndrome. It simply means I don’t get adaquet
circulation to my hands and feet. Living in Florida, I never would
have had a chance to figure this out. This makes training on my bike
very difficult in the winter. So, I took to running.

My cousin Marita, and roommate at the time and my soon to be
sister-in-law were runners, so I ran with them. I was inspired
watching Helena run her first marathon, that I set out to run my first
the following year.  I wanted to qualify for the Boston Marathon in my
first shot and I did. The next 3 years I ran 2 more Marathons, and 1
Duathlon.

I knew at Boston when I crossed the finish line that the Ironman was
looming on the horizon. Having the confidence to successfully get
through the two largest portions of the IM, I knew I could do this. At
this time I had finished school, graduating at the top of my class and
was fortunate to land a job shortly after graduating. I had nothing
stopping me now. What better time than now, So I registered. I ran 1
more marathon before my official training would begin in December. I
started my training out on a high note, Setting a personal record at
the last marathon by over 14 minutes! I was off to a great start.

37 weeks ago my training began. You have all been there through this
with me. Supporting me, sending me care packages, going on training
rides, runs and swims, all to help me with my own personal goal. I
sometimes wish I had some large noble cause to be racing for,
something bigger than my own personal goal, and I can only say this. I
race for myself because I can. Because I have been blessed with the
physical ability too. I race for my family and friends and I race for
those who can’t. I race because I am a woman and how awesome it feels
to blow by a guy! I race because I just love to do it.

In less than 72 hours I will be jumping into the Ohio river started my
first of many Ironmans to come. I can’t wait!

--
Megan Marie Howe

1 comment:

  1. Go Megan!!! we are cheering you on from Philly!!oxox

    ReplyDelete