Thursday, August 26, 2010

IRONMAN or Bust!

Week 37, the last and final week. The Ironman is almost here. Weeks and weeks of training, many bananas eaten and who only knows how many pairs of stinkin' goggles I went through until I found the right pair!


I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!

Over the weekend I felt a cold starting to try and make it's way into my body, but I kicked it out and hibernated as much as I could in my bed, resting and taking plenty of Vitamin C.

I feel good this week. Trying to keep off my feet as much as possible, eating enough and not doing killer workouts. My coworker Laura asked me yesterday if I made a binder for the trip (i love making binders for anything!) and not letting her down, I pulled out the binder that had detailed maps, schedules, checklists and more checklists. I have spent way to much time to get to KY just to have forgotten something or to be stressed about where a place is and how to find it. I am prepared in my training, I want to be just as prepared in my packing and traveling!

With my lists all made, all of my clothes neatly laid out on the bed, the only thing left to do is pack it all up. I wanted to wait until my last workout was complete before putting everything in the bags, and it's very gratifying to check things of the list as I put them in the bag!

THE PLAN OF ATTACK!

John and I are leaving for KY tonight at midnight. I am leaving work early to pick up a few more things from the store, ice then a quick dinner, pack and bed. We hope to get a few hours of sleep in before we leave.


Friday 12pm - We should arrive in Louisville no later than 12 and we will check into the hotel. Unpack, get situated then head down to the Galt house where athlete check-in is. After this if I have time and feel the need, we will go for a super easy ride to get the junk out of the legs from the car drive. Then it's off to Cararaba's thanks to my awesome parents. 7:30pm is a mandatory athlete meeting, then it's off to bed.

Saturday- Get a great nights sleep, eat some french toast in the room thanks to the handy dandy electric griddle that Helena let us borrow then off to the open water swim (still debating) then a quick ride of the run course and back for lunch. Before dropping the bike off at the transition area, we will check the bike over, put the race wheels one and head it down by the mandatory 5pm check-in time. After that is dinner, epson salt bath then bed.

Sunday- 12am midnight snack of Ensure then back to bed. 4am wake-up followed by a french toast breakfast. Head down to transition area, get my body numbered 232, check the tire pressure on the bike, attach computer to bike, put bottles on then head a mile down to the swim start. Since the start is first come first serve, I want a good spot, close to the front.

7am- Race begins!

A number of people have asked if they can track me on the course and the anwser is yes. You can track it through the Ironman website, the link for the tracking is not up yet, you would put my race number in 232 and I'm also registered still in my maiden name ESMONDE.

ALSO, I did rent a gps tracking device that I will wear that you can track the whole time online. here is the link.

http://www.myathletegps.com/  When you get to the home page at the top you will see TRACK ATHLETE , select that.

The next page will have a list of events, Under LOUISVILLE IRONMAN you will see a list of athletes, select my name MEGAN HOWE, it will then open a window that looks like this.



On the right side will be names of other athletes, to view me, select my name and you will see me blinking on the screen. The MyAthleteTracking only tracks me, it will not give you race times, that you will still need from the Ironman site, and I will post when I find more.

ps. I am bringing my computer and will be writing my next post along the way talking about the course.


I will have email so please don't hesitate to email with words of encouragement!!! See you in Kentucky!

1 comment:

  1. Megan, good luck! I am impressed with what you have done to train for this race. I am honored to be one of your training partners for a small part of the effort that you have endured. I will follow your progress and I will be cheering you on. You have been an inspiration to me and to others. Think podium, you have given me great advice before the races I have entered and it continues to stick with me. I wish I could be there to watch because it is a milestone in your life. Be strong and leave it all on the course..

    ReplyDelete