Monday, March 1, 2010

So much clothes, so little snow!


There’s nothing better than ending a great week of working out with a great weekend!

Saturday’s swim went really well. I have decided to start swimming the Elite workout that is one step up from what I have been doing. I actually felt like a swimmer this weekend, I feel my form getting better and my arms are getting stronger.

Sunday, I had a brick workout and my friend Mark joined me for the bike portion of it. The roads were fine from the snow we got earlier in the week and the temps weren’t to bad either. Throughout the ride it kept snowing and then stopping. It was really pretty and my first time riding in the snow. After the 1.5+ ride, I got back to my car, had a quick wardrobe change then headed back out on foot for my 8 mile run. The first 100 yards felt funny, but my body quickly regained composure and ran as if I had not ridden before hand. My feet however were still frozen and didn’t defrost until mile 3.5.

After I got home from my run and bike on Sunday and emptied my bag, I was amazed at the amount of clothes I had to wear for these two workouts. I took a picture so you could understand what you have to wear in the winter while training for an Ironman.

Bike Portion
1. Helmet
2. Lightweight Ear band
3. Long sleeve base layer shirt (worn on bike and run)
4. Short Sleeve Cycling Jersey
5. Thermal Jacket
6. Long Tights (worn on bike and run)
7. Cycling Shorts
8. Socks (worn on bike and run)
9. Cycling Shoes
10. Insulated Shoe Covers
11. Lobster Gloves
12. Watch (worn on bike and run)

Run Portion
1. Fleece Lined Headband
2. Long sleeve base layer shirt
3. Winter Running Jacket
4. Long Tights (worn on bike and run)
5. Socks (worn on bike and run)
6. Running Shoes
7. Brooks Winter Running Gloves
8. Watch (worn on bike and run)

It is important in my training on my brick workout days to simulate the transitions as best as possible, so when it came to what I wore I tried to wear components that could be used on both the bike and run. Also, since I was parked in a public space I needed to keep that in mind in terms of changing. My long sleeve base layer is a Patagonia Women’s Capilene base layer. It wicks away the sweat, which was perfect. My running jacket is the Saucony Omni Soft-shell Jacket, great for running in a cold rain, or a windy day. The two biggest components to my wardrobe are my gloves. My running gloves are by Brooks. They are both glove and Mitten and are totally warm. The best part is if my hands start to warm up, I can simply pull back the mitten and it exposes my fingertips, bring down the temp in my hands. My cycling gloves are Pearllzumi’s Barrier Lobster gloves. It is a full glove liner inside with only 3 outer shell compartments. They work really well for me.

I look forward to the summer when I will just wear a tri top and shorts and that’s it!

3 comments:

  1. This is my favorite post! Lots of gear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much does all of this cost?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cost, wow...a lot. I am lucky enough to have a sister-in-law who gives great christmas and birthday gifts. Most of my winter running gear is from Helena. All of the cycling gear, with the exception of the gloves, was from previous teams and sponsors. But If it came out of pocket, the Jackets alone run from 150-300 dollars. Pretty expensive sport.

    ReplyDelete