Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Weekend of Coaches


This Past weekend John and I headed down to Washington DC. We actually left Thursday night. The car was packed with more workout gear than anything else.  3 Bags of workout clothes, 2 Bikes and 1 Boston Terrier! Since My brother Mike and Sister Michele live next door to eachother we will take turns staying at a diff house during each visit. This trip we stayed with Michele and Travis. I don't think Mike minds to be honest!!

This is how the weekend went...

FRIDAY-
7am arrive at CYCLELIFE for RMR Testing (Resting Metabolic Rate). This test I had to fast for, which I was not happy about but I wanted the most accurate results so I was hungry!
Josh Frick, Director of Fit Services did this test. The results showed that if I were to do nothing all day my body burns 1267 calories! I can afford to eat more food if I want...awesome.

8am still at shop and with Josh, it was time for my bike fit. The TT (time trial) bike I have now used to be a road bike that my brother Mike and Travis converted into a TT bike about 5 years ago. Being so petitie and at the time that the bike was assembled there wasn't much to offer a smaller rider in terms of equiptment, without spending $10,000. So they did a great job with what they had, and it was up to Josh to get it even better. He took video of my position on the bike and later superimposed it on top of the new position, and boy was is night ad day. I essentially used to ride like superman, which is not good. Now I have proper form and feel really fast. Pat and my brother Mike did a great job of putting the new compenents on my bike, making it clean and super fast looking, thanks guys!

Sometime in between i met with Colin Shah, he as a new coach at CycleLife and worked with me on some of my weight lifting routine. He also informed me on how inflexible I am...awesome. Looks like I will start taking some Yoga classes. He also arranged for me to work with his swimming coach on sunday..more on that later.

11am with the bike fit done it was now time for me to meet with Eric Sorensen, Director of the Athletic Performance Department and Triathlon Coach. First he performed the body fat test. I sat in this machine called the Bod Pod. Its done in a series of three tests and they take the average. I weighed in at 108 lbs with a BMI (body mass index) of 13.3%. This was great news. That is a great BMI for a female athlete. Once that was done it was time for the last test, my VO2 max. This will test the oxegyn output, and how efficient my body is. I ride on my bike with a mask attached to my face and it measures my oxygen intake and carbon dioxide output, in addition to a heart rate monitor measuring my heart. Eric increases the resisitance on the bike but i have to keep the wattage going, otherwise I won't be able to peddal. The test was hard and brother stopped working to come up and watch (he works there too!) John and arrived at this point as well. I didn't do as well as I would have like and it would have been a good idea to tell Eric about my existing oxygen intake problem..ie i don't take in that much..genetics. I learned from this test that I burn more carbon dioxide than i take in oxygen. which is not good. this means I have to be very aware of how much food i'm eating...which means i need to always be eating when i workout..lucky for me I already did that.

Sat slept in and then rode for 30 miles followed by a 6 mile run. Then off to Ikea for wedding stuff and hanging out with the girls. We had an awesome dinner at Micheles, cooked by both Michele and Alycia, chicken enchilada with a tomitilla sauce, fresh quac and chips!

Sun 10am meeting with the swim coach of AU, Mark. He took vidoe above water and underwater so we could watch my form. After watching the video i learned that my kick is good, but my left stroke is bad. He showed me a ton of great drills to work on to improve this. He was great.

I am exhausted from the weekend, defiently not relaxing, but super educational. 

I just want to say my biggest THANK YOU's to EVERYONE at CycleLife. As Travis says "you rolled out the red carpet for me". It was such a great oppertunity to have this done, I learned soo much and couldn't be more greatful. If you are ever in Washington D.C. you HAVE to go to CycleLife. This shop will change your life and the staff there is the real deal. 

CycleLife

3255 K Street, NW
Washington, DC 20007
202.333.8883

 I have to run, but will be back with more about this week.

1 comment:

  1. Really interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete