Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Wetsuit...(aka speedsuit)



I tested out the new wetsuit this morning at the pool. I didn't really know what to expect. I got into the suit in the locker room and had some funny looks from other members.

The last time I tried the suit on I was sweating like crazy, this time I didn't and it was really easy to slip on. I guess the lesson learned here is don't eat a big meal before trying on a wetsuit!

The first lap in the pool felt lightning fast. It was so cool how my body glided across the water.

For the Ironman and other triathlon events, wetsuits are only allowed to be worn in temps 76.1 degress Fahrenheit. If you chose to wear one in temps above the allowed amount you are not elligable for awards and world championship qualifying slots. There are also other requlations on the wetsuits in terms of materials and thicknesses, and the one I am wearing qualifies.


The wetsuit I have is the 2XU Women's C:2 Comp 2 
 Full sleeve and full leg.

At first I thought I should get the sleevless wetsuit with the nicker bottoms, but after speaking with some professional triathletes at CycleLife USA, I chose to go with the full body wetsuit.


I was surprised during the swim at how fluid the suit it. It was not uncomfortable at all, I felt great in it, and I feel like it help keep my swim stroke and body in great form. The only time I felt water in the suit was when I turned around from the wall on each lap, other than that no big deal. With the sizing of a suit, I was on the cusp of an XS and Small. I went with the small because that's all the shop had in size, but after the swim I think I will stay with it.


For those who are looking to get a wetsuit I would reccomend calling around to a local bike or tri shop to see if they do rentals. It's best to test the suit out in the water before making such a large investment. If you live in DC, check out CycleLife USA, they sell and rent suits. $35 for a weeks rental.


Also if you are looking for name brand 1-piece bathing suits, I get mine at TJMax and Marshalls. I just got a Nike Performance suit that retailed for $74 for only $17. The only downfall is they only sell them in the summer, so stock up for the winter if you don't want to drop 80 bucks for a suit.


I am planning on doing a sprint try next weekend, will decide for sure this week. Anxious to get back to racing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment