Tuesday, February 15, 2011

My Head is Spinning


      

The snow is finally clearing off the ground and the temperatures the other day were actually above 35 degrees. Could we be heading into spring... I dare to speak of it more! Instead, I have go where I hoped I would not have to go...spin class (dah, dah, dah, dummmm!!!)

The last time and only time I have ever taken a spin class was back in 2002, and was dragged there by a friend. When you live in Florida there is no need for spin classes, but in the northeast, that's a whole different story. I was getting tired of riding my bike in my living room, so I joined the loud, hot, sweaty filled spin room at the gym and spun away. I have always been a “sit in the front row” type of person, but with spin, I sit all the way in the back. I don’t agree with the instructor on what he has the class doing, it’s not how I would ever ride my bike on the road, so why would I train that way. So, I sit in the back to be out of peoples way and hopefully the instructor won’t be too annoyed when I’m not jumping up and down on my seat!! It is a great workout, but I am looking forward to more daylight and warmer weather.



 
I also have gone to a place that I never thought I would go and that is wearing a fuel belt while running. I used to just carry a bottle, but my hands get cold and it’s annoying. I was returning something at REI the other day and they had fuel belts on sale, so I got one. Besides feeling like a pack mule while running, I actually liked it. I always thought it was dorky and didn’t see the need for all that water, but now I do. I met John and Jordan at the park the other day, and I was able to carry food, my phone, keys, 16 ounces of water and not one thing in my hand. Every time I go out wearing my fuel belt, I feel like I’m going on an expedition, I’m learning to embrace the things I didn’t think I would want to!!

Training has been going. Not as well as I would have liked, but I’m getting in all the long, hard runs that I need. The marathon is in just over a month, and two days after the race, John and I make settlement on our first home!!! I had been holding off saying anything in print about buying a home because I didn’t want to jinx it, but it’s official, we bought a house!!!!

The house is the one I spoke of before, a 3bedroom twin, in a great neighborhood and across the street from the state park where I train!! There is a ton of work to be done, but whats training for an Ironman if I don’t have something big to do on the side!!!

Heading to the gym tonight for an hour on the treadmill, wish me luck!

Also, Happy Birthday to Beth Walz, President of Adventure Woman. Hope you had a fantastic day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment